Friday, May 8, 2026

Robot Suits Book 1: The Second Emergence - Chapter 1

 

Chapter 1

 

To whoever may be reading these journals, my name is Jene Rodin, child of Erba Rodin and Arte Xil, and I just realized that if you are not from Terra in the six hundred and twenty seventh year after the first emergence war… those names hold no meaning.

I should give a little info, so you are aware, as these journals are being sent out not only into the universe but into the timestream, I have no idea exactly how the physics on any of this works, but theoretically it may lead to a different timeline having a better chance than our own.

That said, in the year 2034 an event called the Emergence War happened, caused when a dying universe began pressing itself upon Terra, or Earth as it was called back then, causing a period of war lasting 27 years. During that war, Earth became home to more than just humans. Beings from the stars like the Avrunites, Felneks, and Tanidae came to find the source of the emergence, refugees from the dying dimension like the Altans sought asylum, and allies of the heroes of the war from other dimensions all came to call Terra home.

With the Earth so radically changed by the Emergence War it was decided to start a new year system, and thus the TA calendar began, and while there were problems it seemed mostly at peace… until 15 years ago. When the second emergence began, another dying universe crashing into ours, again… but this time there were no heroes, those who had found the pieces of destiny would not return.

So rather than relying on heroes emerging, the government of Terra made its own, the R-Techs, humans bonded to nanomachines that would be able to call on powerful armor known as Robot Suits.

My mother. Arte Xil was the lead researcher on developing the Synch Nanites, and my father Erba Rodin was the first R-Tech, the first to bond with the Nanites, becoming the first member of the ERS, the first team to utilize the Robot Suits.

After a year of fighting, the ERS were on the backfoot, and in order to give time to prepare, my parents and the other members of the ERS formed the Lost Void, sacrificing themselves to create a barrier between the two universes for a time, my mother on the other side as it needed to be closed on both ends.

My parents sacrificed themselves so that those of us that remained could prepare.

The Terran government formed the RS Academies, as did governments on other planets, to find others that can bond to the Synch Nanites just in case, with the intent to create multiple RS teams when the barrier breaks. That’s where my story begins, I’m a student at the Falmuth Academy, one of seven RS Academies on Terra, the one closest to the Five Sea.

I’ve always been a bit of a loner, not by choice, but because that’s how people treated me, the surviving child of the two great heroes, the worlds first Altan/Felnek hybrid, of course they left me alone.

Well except for Silas and Emera, the three of us had been dating since we were in middle school, but when we entered the academy at nineteen the two of them tested positively to being bonded to synch nanites, pairing to two from a team set to patrol the Lost Void, alongside two other students Kreig and Verut, and Emera’s brother Joso.

I failed to bond.

They tested me again and again, but nanites wouldn’t synch with me, with Silas and Mera in the field all the time, I felt left behind again. On my uncle Beyd’s suggestion I joined the tactical tract due to my inability to bond with the nanites. It was there I met two others willing to approach me, Ty, and Cinder, two others at the academy who couldn’t bond.

Ty is a human, well kinda, he’s a conjoined… a human with a lot of cybernetic implants, he has never really gone into what happened, but his arms, legs, parts of his torso, and his eyes all had to be replaced.

His being a Conjoined is probably why he gets along so well with Cinder, a Kahnaite, a synthetic life form and first of her kind. Most Kahnaite’s are unable to bond with Nanites, Cinder, was made to be the first to be able to do so… theoretically. Like me she hadn’t been able to do so and so had been placed into this squad of rejects aimed solely at the tactical command.

Over the last year I had been working on the same thing, figuring out why we couldn’t bond, I had been the child of the first to bond, Ty was as much machine as man, and Cinder was designed specifically to bond, yet all three of us had been rejected time and time again.

“Hey Jene” Ty placed his hand on my shoulder to get my attention. “Your uncle just called, he wants the three of us to come to his office.”

“What?” I blinked looking away from my screens, away from the recent discovery I had just made, the same strange pattern that showed up in the scans from all three of us. “Why?”

“Unknown,” Cinder voice came out almost melodiously as her normally lavender eyes briefly shifted to black and green, “Though looking through his files it is probable it has something to do with the transfers.”

“How… Cinder?” I looked at her pinching the bridge of my nose, my tail bristling a bit as my mind made the connections. “Didn’t my uncle tell you not to jump your mind into the academy’s systems?”

“Affirmative, but as we are supposed to be solely a part of the academy’s tactical tract, it makes no logical sense for me to follow that order as that would hinder my ability to gather information.”  She looked at me, her eyes returning to their vivid violet color.

She had a point, despite the fact that I didn’t enjoy her doing something like that, she was technically correct in her line of thinking. I only hoped it wouldn’t come back to bite us in the tail.

“Transfers?” Ty looked at Cinder with a smile, not worried at all about Cinder’s breach of the academy’s systems, granted that’s how he always ways, seemingly unflappable and cool under all situations, “How many?”

“Two.” Cinder held up two fingers as she spoke, “Both are Tanidae, and judging by their days of birth and clan names, they may be twins.”

I looked at her confused. That didn’t make sense, Tanidae were biologically the easiest to bond with the nanites due to their shapeshifting nature, and a pair of Tanidae twins had been rejected? “Are you positive they are both Tanidae?” I needed to get their biodata, just as I had gotten Cinder and Ty’s, there had never been a rejected Tanidae.

“Affirmative” Cinder nodded.

Closing down my screens I picked up my holo-computer, not wanting to leave it behind so someone else could see my discovery, along with the rest of my things, I followed my squad-mates, heading towards the office of the academy’s director, my uncle Beyd.

I had questions.

More than I ever expected.

Hopefully, he would answer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robot Suits Book 1: The Second Emergence - Chapter 1

  Chapter 1   To whoever may be reading these journals, my name is Jene Rodin, child of Erba Rodin and Arte Xil, and I just realized tha...